Monday, July 13, 2009

This LIttle Mommy Stayed Home

Joy McGuire, a seemingly normal person with a seemingly normal marriage, has a baby, after which point, nothing is normal again. Not her breasts or her belly or her heart or her marriage. It’s a hilarious, rueful, laugh-out-loud post partum tale about the grueling work of the first nine months of the first baby when change is an urgent necessity that you wish you could run away from.  

Below are my questions for author Samantha Wilde:

mc: Which came first, the title or the novel? 

sw: The novel. Way ahead of the title. In fact we had a list of possible titles even after I’d revised the novel.   

What other art form inspires you as much as writing? 

Poetry. E.E. Cummings, Sharon Olds, Mary Oliver. But that’s writing, isn’t it? How about nature? Is that an art form? Maybe yoga too. It’s a different kind of art form altogether.  

Which comes easier for you - beginnings or endings? 

I’m okay with both. It’s the middle that’s hard.  

How many drafts until the final draft? 

It depends on how many people read it. I have a tendency not to revise as I write. I’m worried I’d never get done if I did that.  

What are you reading right now?

THE YEAR OF LIVING BIBLICALLY. It’s hilarious. Since I moonlight as a minister and graduated from divinity school, I lap up religious stuff when it’s true, witty and liberal. 
 
 

What's next for you? 

I just finished my second novel I’LL TAKE WHAT SHE HAS out from Bantam in 2010. It’s about envy. Another topic I know nothing about.  

No comments: