Thursday, July 16, 2009

Blogging from the sky


I am currently enroute to Toronto from L.A. for a 10 day Canada trip, mixing work and play. A semi-reformed phobic flyer, I still have lots of anxiety dreams the night before I have a flight. Last night's was filled with ants and mice and then later my nephew Peter saying to me, "You're not scared of kids, you're scared of responsibility." I woke up thinking what a smart 3 1/2 year old he is, and he definitely is - but then I remembered it was my dream and I wrote that dialogue. 

The 8am flight is packed. Why is everyone going to Toronto at 8 on a Thursday morning? While the stewardesses were pimping 6-dollar breakfast sandwiches, I dug into my bag and extracted my noodle/green onion/tofu/garlic melange, stinking up the plane, I'm sure, but getting a homemade meal. I even brought my own tea. Yes, I've turned into THAT person. 

My favorite part of this flight was watching Season 1, episode 4 of Mad Men. What a fun show! I'll have to catch up on 1-3 and then I fully plan on continuing on with episode 5 and beyond. I am such a late bloomer to good television. Sadly, I can get sucked into the lowest of the low. I was about 3 years late on The Sopranos, finally renting the entire series and watching it with awe and delight. Mad Men takes place in 1950's New York in an advertising agency. In my alternate universe I, too, came of age in 1950's New York and coincidentally worked in advertising, so this show completely appeals to me. The acting is a little stilted, like seeing a play in the theater, perhaps, but once you get used to it the show totally takes off.

Speaking of take off - we are landing now. I will post this from Toronto soil. I've got some animation pitches happening but also a lot of extended family time, starting with cousin Rochelle and eventually weaving my way to my 99-year old great Aunt Minchu!

No comments: