Monday, November 10, 2008

R.I.P Miriam Makeba

My heart breaks at the passing of Miriam Makeba. I was hooked on her from the moment I learned the Pata Pata for 6th grade graduation. During the late 80's I had the great pleasure of seeing her numerous times in concert with Paul Simon on his Graceland tour. Most recently I saw her at the Hollywood bowl with Jen and Katie. We danced the Pata Pata in the aisles and were mesmerized by her other extraordinary songs. She also has a wonderful autobiography called "Makeba" in which she chronicles her life and rise to fame in S. Africa, and then the catastrophe of apartheid. Do yourselves a favor and listen to her music and read her book. I'm sure she'd love it if you danced the Pata Pata in her memory. (apparently she died right after performing that song in concert in Italy)

No comments: