Thursday, October 16, 2008

Shout out to Mimi


I met my friend Mimi when I was 16. She'd moved from Montreal to L.A. for the year and our mutual friend Rachel suggested we get in touch. Mimi came over to my parents' house on a hot, sticky August day and we spent the afternoon in the pool staying cool. At one point I asked what time it was and Mimi made a sundial on the pavement with the pool water and stuck her pointer finger in the middle. "Three O'Clock" she said, reading the shadow. Mimi became a fast friend.

Twenty+ years later and we're still friends. Mimi now lives in Oxford, England but through the years we've managed to not only stay in touch, but to meet up in various cities including London, Paris, New York, Montreal, Toronto and most recently Las Vegas. We've gone years without seeing each other or being in touch, but when we meet up it's like no time has passed. 

Most recently, Mimi generously shared her hotel suite at the MGM Signature hotel. She was there for a conference and I was there for Obama. We didn't see each other during the days, but in the evenings we made dinner in the suite and caught up on life while gazing at the Vegas strip 32 floors below. We shared stories about our families, careers and travels. We laughed to tears exchanging guy stories. I returned to L.A. on Wednesday while Mimi set out to the Sequoias for a solo hiking adventure.

So Mimi, if you have wireless in the middle of the woods, THANK YOU for housing me earlier this week and for being the fabulous friend that you are. I hope everyone is lucky enough to have a Mimi in their lives, and if not. you'll just have to meet the real deal next time she's in L.A.

xx
mc

ps- I took her to karaoke for the first time and she did a KILLER version of 'La Vie En Rose'  Edith Piaf watch out!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I am blushing in the Air Canada lounge! Thank you Melissa, you have made my day! I don't remember the sundial (was I ever that clever?) but I do remember my fake nails coming off in your pool! I'm so happy that you are still in my life after all of these years. Thank you for making the Vegas trip so amazing and for helping me work through my anger issues (smile). Miss you already...

Jen said...

I'm gushing from all the love!!!

As per a previous post, 15 years difference is NOTHING!! hee hee.

connectionsclark. finding them everywhere.