Monday, October 13, 2008

Moe-mama


Here's the story...there are so many fabulous, dedicated, intelligent, friendly, fantastic people volunteering for Obama that it makes one feel all gooey inside.

I arrived at the field office around 10am and stayed until 6. At first I did a lot of pamphlet sorting over by the front desk. This allowed me to eavesdrop on all the phone calls that came in from people wanting to volunteer, wanting to register, wanting to canvass, etc. I also met the stream of people who dropped by the office - for signs, to donate food, water, for stickers, pins, Obama literature. The head of the iron union (the iron used to build these gigantic hotels, not the kind used for getting rid of wrinkles in clothes) came in because he wants to inform all the union members about why they should vote for Obama. A grandma and grandpa came in with their 2-year old granddaughter who was saying 'Moe-Mama' as I took their picture in front of the life sized cut out of Barak Obama (he's tall!).


I later moved to the phone bank where I called registered Democrats to help canvass their neighborhoods this weekend and make sure their neighbors get out and vote. This was slightly disappointing b/c a lot of people either weren't home or weren't interested. Then I changed my strategy. If I sensed someone was interested in the cause I said I was a volunteer who came up from Los Angeles to help. Suddenly people started paying attention. Some still said they weren't available to volunteer but others comitted to dates and shifts. One woman even invited me to stay with her family if I decided to come back another weekend (which I'm thinking about. Turns out the woman lived in Marina del Rey and taught at LMU!!) It was such a high when someone said yes. Out of about 75 phone calls, I got 8 'yes's' and apparently that was a huge deal.

Here's a question: when did 20something guys become so solicitous? Is this a generational thing? A democrat thing? Why wasn't Barak running when I was in my 20's? The nice boys at HQ bring me water, invite me to lunch, check-in on me throughout the day. Are they just being polite to the middle-aged lady in the office?

After today I feel energized, inspired, hopeful and excited. I can't tell you how many registered Republicans I spoke to who are voting for Obama. This is huge! There are only 22 days left until the election. If you can get your booty to Las Vegas or anywhere in Nevada it would be insanely helpful. I'm thinking about coming back in the next few weeks.


Oh, I forgot to tell you about the German guy who is between jobs in Germany and decided to come to Nevada and work on the campaign. HE'S NOT AMERICAN. HE CAN'T VOTE. But he sees an opportunity for change, not just for Americans, but for citizens of the world. You don't even have to go to Germany to help with the political process - just to Las Vegas.

Don't ask about the gambling. I had a rough morning at the slots. I intend to win it all back tonight.

xx
mc

ps - let me know if you're reading this...drop me a comment!

4 comments:

banksy said...

fabulous, melis! great story--and for those not on the east coast reading, there's plenty of other states that could use some help! mo-mama go'bama!

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON MC!!! I'm heading for phone banks this weekend here in Los Angeles. Keep up the good work. Eight is GREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

WAIT JUST A SEC...
Who you calling middle aged???
Take that back.
Immediately.

As for Obamarama...I'd so be there if I could...and I would so vote if I weren't Canadian. But sadly, we have our own political issues. Our election is tonight...and Bush Light (aka Stephen Harper) appears to be in the driver's seat for winning. Just gotta hope to hell he only gets a minority government!!

Jen said...

Yea! I just caught up on the posts. I was wondering what was going on and then I remembered, THE BLOG! I'm so excited, proud for/of you!!! What a great thing and to be in that environment preparing for change, encouraging people, getting served coffee by political involved 20 something hotties.

Mimi is great. And I do have one-YOU!
Solo hiking trip? I love this girl!!!