Saturday, July 27, 2013

Two Countries, One Summer

So far this summer I've hit two countries, and it's not even August. I just returned from Montreal where I was on a family trip celebrating my dad's 80th birthday. Both parents are from Montreal, so I've spent my life going to and fro, visiting aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, friends and other Canadian brethren. Nostalgia kicks in every time I land at the airport, remembering my Bubby and Zaidey excitedly picking us up, remembering the time we lived there for 8 months, remembering all the family events, weddings, parties, funerals and the like. 

This trip found us renting a house in Westmount, visiting a beloved lake house in the gorgeous Lorentien mountains, visiting with Bubby's 103-year-old sister, my great aunt Minchu, celebrating my dad with a host of other friends and relatives, eating, eating, eating. The trip was nothing if not intense - from the weather to the planning and executing of of various activities en masse. Ah, Montreal, je me souviens...

The country house, Cook Lake


getting ready to go swimming with the nephews

city house (red one)

Minchu is 103!

Mom and Minchu

Phenomenal meal in Montreal - toasted corn in the middle

Chihuly exhibit at the museum
Dad's cake at Moishe's!
Nephews lovin' the cake, too.

No comments: