Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Pace

Another jam-packed NY trip has sadly come to an end. In 3 1/2 days I managed to attend my favorite Russian restaurant/bar (even though I'm allergic to Vodka I can't get enough of their gravlox and potato pancakes), have lunch with the bestie birthday girl at the scrumptious Spice Market, walk the High Line on my way to meet my book agent for a drink , (who always manages to make it feel like everything is going to be okay), catch a performance of Follies, the best, starring Bernadette Peters (apologies to

friends who had to endure my rendition of "Broadway Baby" over and over and over after the show...). I occupied Wall Street in the rain, traveled by car to Connecticut
in the harrowing snow storm, made the best out of a power outage by dancing to 80's music in front of the fire (14-year old DJ Julia kept the tunes going), took a walk in the snow-covered neighborhood, dodging falling branches and downed power lines (Whenever a clump of snow fell from the trees Erika declared, "It's like the Wizard of Oz when the trees pelt apples at everyone!"). I ate more, and more, and more.

Back in NYC I stood in what seemed to be a thankless line, at least 25 people deep, for Book of Mormon tickets and much to my surprise and delight found that I was the only single one in line and got the one extra ticket they had to offer. The line boo'd as I came to collect my ticket but I didn't care because when I slipped into the 4th row center seat, my row applauded my arrival, knowing how hard these tickets are to come by (sold out until June, 2012). My face still hurts from laughing. It was truly the funniest most crass thing I've ever seen - and the music was great, too. Matt Stone and Trey Parker can do no wrong.
On my way to the airport the next day, I stopped at the MOMA thanks to Daryl's membership, and caught the De Kooning retrospective which took my breath away. (BTW, shout out to dogfriend Teddy who licked my nose every morning to wake me up.)

The flight home was through the blazing orange sunset all the way from coast to coast. I'm already scheming ways to get back to NYC in the Spring. My theater and food habit is very expensive, unfortunately, but I'll somehow figure it out.

No comments: