Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Everyone Else's Girl


It is a busy month for book releases! GCC member Megan Crane has a new novel out. A little bit about the book:

Meredith does things for other people. She irons clothes for her boyfriend, she attends her ex-best friend's horrendous hen party for her brother (who's about to marry the girl) and she moves back to her parents' house to look after her dad when his leg is broken. She's a good girl and that matters. But when she gets back home, all is not as Meredith remembered. Especially Scott, that geeky teenager from her old class at school. He's definitely different now. And so, it seems, is she. One by one, her family and old friends start to tell her some home truths and Meredith begins to realise she's not so perfect after all. Maybe it is time she stopped being everyone else's girl and started living for herself...

"Megan Crane rules! Cancel your evening plans: You won't want to stop reading until you've devoured every delicious word."
—Meg Cabot

"Amusing, heartfelt and emotionally sophisticated chick-lit." —Kirkus


And here is my interview with her:

Mel: Which came first, the title or the novel?
Meg: In this case, I think the title came first--which is very unusual for me. I usually agonize over titles which are then changed by my publishers. This, in fact, is the only title that I actually chose on any of my published books!

What other art form inspires you as much as writing?
Music. In fact, I think it might inspire me more than writing, but I love it too much to break it apart and study it the way I do writing. I could never be a musician for that reason. I don't want to make music do what I want it to do, I just want it to carry me away.

Which comes easier for you - beginnings or endings?
Definitely beginnings. I like to launch myself into the beginning and write until I hit a wall, then go back and figure out what I'm doing.

How many drafts until the final draft?
I am one of those desperately linear writers, who can't go forward if I know what's behind me is a big mess. So I usually write the day's words, then set it aside to pick up and read the next morning. I revise it before starting the next day's writing. So when I have a full draft, it's usually pretty tight, and then I go over that at least once or twice. So... three?

What are you reading right now?
I just finished Karen Marie Moning's Dreamfever, the second to last of her incredibly addictive Fever series. How on earth will I wait until December for the next and final book? I have no idea.

What's next for you?
I am currently working on my fifteenth novel, a romance, which should be out sometime next year!

Congratulations to Megan!


No comments: