Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday Happenings

This title feels like one of those family newsletters that circulates around this time of year. Come to think of it, blogs are like year-round annoying family newsletters, but I must admit I enjoy dabbling in the nonfiction.

Host Terry and myself posing with required Christmas hats.

I've had a very active few days. December 24 was the annual Conway Xmas eve party, replete with tons of food, drink and PacMan playoffs. December 25 was a Very British Christmas dinner with the Marsh's.

We were instructed to pull paper firecrackers, wear hats, and we dined on tons of goodies including a veggie version of mince pie. My new favorite dessert might be simple vanilla ice cream capped with (drowned in) Tio Pepe sherry. The taste combo is pitch perfect and I guarantee that you'll never eat plain vanilla ice cream again. December 26 brought an ice skating
party that started at 10pm and that was hosted by an old friend from elementary school, Leslie. God love Leslie. She's an executive at a sex toy company and a very generous party hostess.

Meredith laces up for the ice.

She rented out Picwick Ice Skating rink in Burbank, provided pizza, churros, water, Red Bull, a coffee cart, cupcakes and a DJ who spun tunes as we spun around and around the rink.

Smiling because I didn't fall.

Miraculously I'm not in pain, and I think it's because I've been a bit of a gym addict on my vacation. My beloved Santa Monica College pool is under construction for the next month so I've had to find other outlets. Lovely friend Lizzie generously loaned out her gym membership as she is not on vacation and working harder than ever.

I am looking forward to spending a quiet (albeit rum soaked) New Year's Eve with good friends, and of course looking forward to 2010. 2010! Isn't that some far off sci-fi sounding date? Why no, it's just a few days away.

Here's a little exercise that I read in someone else's blog: In a journal or on a piece of paper write down all the ways you moved forward in your life. That's not the same thing as forward in your career. I mean forward in your LIFE. How have you expanded, connected, reached out? How are you not the same person you were last year? Create your list, read it and be pleasantly surprised.


No comments: