Thursday, December 4, 2008

Dating

Malena Lott is the author of Dating da Vinci and a member of the Girlfriend Cyber Circuit. Here are my questions and her answers:

Melissa: Which came first, the title or the novel?

Malena: For Dating DaVinci the title came pretty quickly. I love alliteration and really wanted to incorporate da Vinci since he's the catalyst that starts Ramon's renaissance. Since publishers have final say, I didn't get too attached to my working title, though I do like getting credit for this one, though!

Melissa: What other art form inspires you as much as writing?

Malena: I love photography and music. You don't get a single moment again, so I love capturing things on film - still and video. And wouldn't life be so boring without music? I appreciate all types of music, even those that I don't listen to very often. What I was little I really, really wanted to be Crystal Gayle. Sing it with me now, "Don't it make my brown eyes bluuuuue." I think the world will manage just fine without that dream coming true.

Melissa: Which comes easier for you - beginnings or endings?

Malena: Endings for sure. Beginnings are tough because if you don't catch the reader right from the start, you'll lose them. So I find that I rewrite beginnings several times to make sure it's the best kick-off for the story.

Melissa: What are you reading right now?

Malena: I'm reading a couple of women's fiction ARC's and getting ready to start Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

Melissa: What's next for you?

Malena: Sleep. (it's 11 pm) Omelets, pancakes and bacon for the family in the morning. I'm in the throwes of marketing Dating da Vinci, including a radio tour next week. And writing-wise, I just hope to continually improve on my writing and tell great stories. 



No comments: